1. When is a copy of the Criminal Record needed?
- In criminal proceedings
- When public authorities are issuing administrative decisions, where the law requires a criminal record as a supporting document.
2. Where are Criminal Records held?
- At the Court of First Instance Public Prosecutor's Office at the place of birth, for all persons born in Greece.
- At the Ministry of Justice, Transparency & Human Rights' Independent Criminal Records Portal for all persons
3. I am a citizen. How can I submit an application for a copy of my own Criminal Record?
You or your legal representative are entitled to submit a request for a copy of a criminal record.
- You can turn up in person:
- at any Criminal Records Unit at any Court of First Instance Public Prosecutor's Office nationwide or at the Ministry of Justice, Transparency & Human Rights' Independent Criminal Records Department.
- You can visit a Citizen Service Centre (known as KEP in Greek)
- You can use the electronic services provided:
- By the ERMIS Portal
- By the National Criminal Records Portal
4. I am a citizen. How can I access online services to apply for and receive a copy of a criminal record?
To access the services, you need to be treated as an authenticated user on the following systems.
- The ERMIS Portal, by following the authentication rules set by the ERMIS Portal.
- The National Criminal Records Portal
To obtain authentication for the NCR Portal you need:
a) to fill out and submit the online application form available on the portal.
b) After doing that, you need to visit the Ministry of Justice's Independent Criminal Records Department or the Criminarl Records Department at one of the Court of First Instance Public Prosecutor Office's nationwide, and present proof of your ID which can either be your ID Card or a service ID Card as long as it contains particulars that identify you, or another public document that contains similar information. If not, you will need to submit a supplementary public document.
After that, you will be deemed to be an authenticated user and can submit an application for a copy of your criminal record, monitor the progress of your application and receive and print out the document.